This plugin so far has translations into 24 languages, they can all be found at http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/subscribe2/i18n/.
Please note that some are only available for older versions of Subscribe2.
For the experienced: copy the translation .mo file into the Subscribe2 folder.
For the inexperienced: the following rough guide is provided.
It is not a requirement, but you should preferably do this before you activate Subscribe2 for the first time. If you install and activate the plugin first then some values will already have been entered in English that you will have to change these manually.
- Set your whole blog to the preferred language (See http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_in_Your_Language)
- Dowload/Copy Subscribe2 files to the plugin folder as normal (note that buttonsnap.php goes in the root plugin folder)
- Download the .mo translation file for the language you want and corresponding version of Subscribe2 from http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/subscribe2/i18n/. Copy these into the Subscribe2 folder.
- Activate the plugin and enjoy!
Note: .po files are also made available to make updating translations for new versions easier and to allow users to make small amendments to the translations should they wish.
How to translate to your own language?
- See the general WordPress instructions at: http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress
- The file you need to translate in this case is called subscribe2.pot, this file is included in the plugin download zip package
- Use this file to create you own human readable file (*.po) and machine readable file (*.mo) with the correct country code in the name (e.g. subscribe2-fr_FR.mo)
- Once you have finalized your translation please post a comment on the post for the latest version and I’ll contact you so you can email me your work so that it can be shared!
You may also find this article makes useful further reading.
Thanks to Kjell Knudsen for suggesting and writing most of this post.